background

Thursday, August 15, 2013

In the Footsteps of Muhammad (PBUH) - (7)


Pardoning Despite Ability to Avenge
     The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) was the most benign and the most ready to pardon despite his ability to take revenge. Once, some booty of gold and silver was brought to him and he distributed them among the companions. A nomad said, 'O Muhammad! Allah has ordered you to deal justly but I have not seen you distribute fairly.' He said, "Woe to you! Who else would judge justly other than me?" When the man went away, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said leniently, "Let him come back."

Jabir narrated that the Messenger of Allah it, was distributing some booty of silver on the day of Khaibar in Bilal's garment. A man said to him, 'Distribute justly Messenger of Allah! The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said to him, "Woe to you! Who else would distribute justly if I did not distribute justly? I am disappointed and lost if I have not distributed justly." [Collected by Muslim]

     'Umar said, 'May I smite his neck because he is a hypocrite?' The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "May Allah forbid! Lest people should say, 'I kill my companions.'

     The Messenger of Allah (PBUH)) fought the tribe of Khasafah and they found a gap. One of their men called Ghawarath Ibn Al-Harith sneaked till he reached the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) with his sword. He said, `Who prevents you from me?' The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Allah." The sword fell from his hand. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) took the sword and said to him, "Who prevents you from me?" The man said, 'Be the best one to pardon.' The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Would you testify that none is worthy of worship except Allah?' The man said, 'No, but I undertake not to fight you or fight with other people against you.' The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) released him. 'The man returned to his people and said, 'I have come to you from the best of people.'

     Anas Ibn Malik (RA) narrated, 'A Jewess brought a poisoned [cooked] ewe for the Prophet (PBUH) who ate from it. She was brought to the Prophet (PBUH) and was asked; why did you do that? She replied, 'I wanted to kill you.' The Prophet was asked, 'Shall we kill her?' He said, "No." The Prophet (PBUH) was afflicted with sorcery by a Jew. The Angel Gabriel told and cured him. The Prophet however did not mention that for the Jew. Anas added, `I continued to see the effect of the poison on the palate of the mouth of Allah's Messenger (PBUH).'

     `Ali (RA) said, 'Allah's Messenger (PBUH) sent me, Az-Zubair and Al-Miqdad somewhere, saying: "Proceed till you reach Rawdat Khakh where you will find a lady with a letter. Take the letter from her." So, we set out and our horses ran at full speed till we arrived at Ar-Rawdah where we found the lady and said [to her]; Take out the letter.' She replied, 'I have no letter with me.' We said, 'Either you take out the letter or we will take off your clothes.' So, she took it out of her braid. We brought the letter to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and it contained a statement from Hatib Ibn Abu Balta'ah to some of the pagans of Makkah informing them about what Allah's Messenger (PBUH) intended to do. Then the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "O Hatib! What is this?" Hatib replied, 'O Allah's Messenger! Don't hasten to pass your judgment about me. I was a man closely connected with Quraish, but I did not belong to this tribe, while the other emigrants with you had their relatives in Makkah who would protect their dependants and property. So I wanted to compensate for my lack of blood relations by doing them a favor so that they might protect my dependants. I did this neither because of disbelief nor apostasy nor out of preferring disbelief to Islam.' Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said, "Hatib has told you the truth." `Umar said, 'O Allah's Messenger! Let me chop off the head of this hypocrite.' Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said, "Hatib participated in the battle of Badr, and, who knows, perhaps Allah has already looked at the warriors of Badr and said, "Do whatever you like for I have forgiven you."

     'Abdullah (RA) narrated, 'One day, Allah's Messenger distributed some booty as he used to do. One of the Ansar said 'By Allah, this is the distribution where justice has not been observed.' I said to him, 'By Allah, I will inform the Prophet (PBUH).' I went and informed him confidentially. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) was greatly moved in a way that I wished I had not told him. Then, he said, "May Allah show Mercy to Moses, for he was harmed with more than this, yet he remained patient."


***  ***  ***

Overlooking What He Disliked

     The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) had a fair complexion and was pure internally and externally. Both his anger and satisfaction easily seen on his face. Whenever his longing grew intense, he used to touch his beard. Once a nomad urinated in the mosque and the people rose to punish him but he said, "Do not interrupt his urination." Then the Prophet (PBUH) asked for a tumbler of water and poured the water over the place of urine.' The Prophet (PBUH) told him that mosques must be pure from such things. In another narration, He said to the companions, 'Advise and do not estrange." 

Reference:
Selected Writings on Purifying the Soul, by Sa'eed Hawwa, page 534-537. (a non Ibadhi Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment