background

Monday, March 4, 2024

Salma Narrated



Salma narrated:

     I dwell in my house with a husband, children and grandchildren. I am surrounded by my family. My mother and father, my brothers and sisters along with their spouses and children live all around me. Encircling us is one fence, and we live as one united family. We begin and end our days together in an atmosphere of affinity, tenderness, and harmony. We gather at intimate meetings where we share interesting talks, festive meals, familial visits, future plans, shared business and collective trips.

     One night, I fell asleep, woke up the next morning and went over my daily house tasks as usual only to find all kinds of furniture and decorations around me have changed, even some walls.

     I then headed to the rooms of my children to check on them, but I was confronted with strange faces coming out of my children’s rooms and from all around the house. I saw a family; men and women, gray-haired and young, elderly and children, all of them had gathered around breakfast in the very same place I used to gather with my family and children. It was as if they have settled in that place. I went out, terrified, as if it had been a dream, and headed to the houses of my family members around us, and all of them followed me and walked behind me quietly. I entered the houses one by one to find all the faces changed, and from wherever I came out, people would follow me, so I thought that I either went crazy or that I was in horrible nightmare. I asked them: Where are my family? Where are my children and grandchildren? Where’s my husband, my mother and my father? Where are my brothers and sisters? Where are all my family members? But all of them were astonished and didn’t utter a word, so I asked, “Who are you?

     And where did you come from?

     How did you settle in my house and take over my possessions and my family’s belongings?”

     They said, “These houses are ours. We inherited them from our forefathers.”

     I said, “How? Could such a thing happen overnight?”

     They said, “You are our great great-grandmother, and you have been asleep for a hundred years, so you are most welcome, dignified and honored among us, just as you had been, for we are still your children and grandchildren.

     I said, “It must be a nightmare! That is impossible.”

     They said, “It’s the truth.”

     Out of shock, I fell to the ground with pouring tears. I felt my soul was going to melt out of regret and remorse for the loss of my beloved ones in a blink of an eye.

     After I submitted to God’s will I said:

     “Didn’t anyone of them remain?

     They said, “this granddaughter of yours is the only one who remained out of those whom you knew before you slept.”

     I saw a clumsy old lady, but she didn’t recognize me. She was only three years old when I went yesterday to sleep. What else could I do other than to stay by her side, sensi   ng their smell through her, reminiscing special moments with them, their movements and their laughs that filled the place last night and all the time before? All that while thinking to myself, “When shall I meet you? My God make it quick, my God hasten me to a garden [i.e., Paradise] as wide as the heavens and earth where there’s no doom and gloom, no grief and agony and no death, but rather eternal life. My God, take me to them for I cannot endure persisting without them…

     That’s not fantasy, but the reality we are gradually facing everyday with whom we are losing without noticing that.

     Those who were before us are gone… Then We produced after them a generation of others 31﴿ ﴿ [23/Al-Mu'minun: 31]

     …then we will return to our God alone just as we came alone. All those with whom we will be coeval, live together, exchange admiration, intimacy and respect came like us to this world individually, one after other, and will leave it as such.

     All of us will separate likewise, and within a century we will be underground and nothing of us will be left except some talks about us like a departed people, as if we never existed!

     [It will be said to them], “And you have certainly come to Us alone [i.e., individually] as We created you the first time, and you have left whatever We bestowed upon you behind you….﴿ [6/Al-An’am: 94]

     Out of those emotions among us nothing will persist except for what was connected to God.

     Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other, except for the righteous 67﴿ ﴿ [43/Az-Zukhruf: 67]

     Other than that is worthless, regardless of the kinship bands, be those as they may.

     On the Day a man will flee from his brother 34﴿ And his mother and his father 35﴿ And his wife and his children 36﴿ ﴿ [80/Abasa: 34-36]

     And They will be shown each other. The criminal will wish that he could be ransomed from the punishment of that Day by his children 11﴿. And his wife and his brother 12﴿ And his nearest kindred who shelter him 13﴿ ﴿ [70/Al-Ma’arij: 11-13]

     And even And whoever is on earth entirely [so] then it could save him 14﴿ ﴿ [70/Al-Ma’arij: 14]

     But how far that is!

     Because Every soul, for what it has earned, will be retained 38﴿ ﴿ [74/Al-Muddathir: 38]

     Indeed My Lord, You have given me [something] of sovereignty and taught me of the interpretation of dreams. Creator of the heavens and earth, you are my protector in this world and the Hereafter. Cause me to die a Muslim and join me with the righteous 101﴿ ﴿ [12/Yusuf: 101]

     Or [consider such an example] as the one who passed by a township which had fallen into ruin. He said, “How will Allāh bring this to life after its death? So Allāh caused him to die for a hundred years; then He revived him. He said, “How long have you remained?” He [the man] said, “I have remained a day or part of a day.” He said, “Rather, you have remained one hundred years. Look at your food and your drink; it has not changed with time. And look at your donkey; and We will make you a sign for the people. And look at the bones [of this donkey] - how We raise them and then We cover them with flesh.” And when it became clear to him, he said, “I know that Allāh is over all things competent 259﴿ ﴿ [2/Al-Baqara: 259]

     This is a depiction I drew in my mind inspired by the story of Uzair, peace be upon him. I cast it on reality through an imaginary character and I invite you to cast it on your reality so that we all can see the truth of this world, because we have so much to learn from (the stories of) former nations …

 

 By: Khalisa Bint Said Al Harithi


No comments:

Post a Comment